nce upon a time, I fell in love with a very effective hair product. It’s name was Nexxus Phyto Organics Humectin Extreme Moisture Conditioner. I used it for years after being introduced to it by my Mom, who used it for decades. For those of you familiar with the old Nexxus Humectress formula, this is it, with a different name. It has become hard to find and very expensive, which has led to me trying to find a new leave in conditioner.
I was looking for a product that was both moisturizing AND made my hair soft & shiny, did not weigh my hair down, was affordable, and was something that I could find easily in a Shopper’s Drug Mart, Walmart, or Sally Beauty.
I read several positive reviews before purchasing the Marc Anthony Strictly Curls Curl Defining Lotion, but didn’t find any reviews from people who have relaxed/texlaxed hair like I do. I know it’s intended for people with curly hair, but who’s to say it won’t work for me too? (Hint: it does).
About My Hair: my hair is fine, texlaxed (chemically straightened–a damaging process), low porosity, and very dry. It breaks and tangles easily. There is a lot of hair on my head but the individual strands are fine. If my hair is dry, I have a hard time combing it because of how much it tangles. If it’s over-moisturized, it’s limp and refuses to hold a curl. Finding that sweet spot where my hair is moisturized just in the right amount has been tricky for me. Lengthwise, my hair is bra-strap length.
How I Apply It: Before bed, I apply the Marc Anthony Curl Defining Lotion on dry hair and do not rinse it out. I separate my hair in 5 sections and apply product to each section, as well as to my nape. I use about 2 dime-sized drops for my whole head before pinning it into 5 large pincurls.
I rated this based on 5 criteria:
Pros: I used Marc Anthony Curl Defining Lotion for a week before completing my review on it. In short, I love it! I was initially skeptical because I didn’t see results right away. However, after a few days of consistent use, my hair started behaving really well. My hair:
- has a nice swing to it, is bouncy and not weighed down.
- has little to no tangles: my comb glides through my hair with virtually no effort (I comb my hair when it’s dry, not damp or wet).
- styles easily without heat:
- Pincurls: When I pincurl my hair, combing it loosens the curl into a wave, but will not make it disappear
- Buns: putting my hair into a bun is easy as my hair has volume & flexibility and the ends aren’t tangled. Taking it out of a bun leaves me with bouncy, tousseled loose waves. If you’re relaxed, you probably know the struggle that is stiff hair, so you know that I am a happy girl!
- seems truly moisturized (not just like products are sitting on top of my hair) and the breakage I typically experience has reduced significantly, but isn’t totally gone.
- my hair isn’t significantly shinier or softer
- flakes when applied to the scalp & hairline
- when I use this by itself, my hair doesn’t stay completely moisturized for 24 hours.
I should note that I’m a fan of the L.O.C. (Liquid Oil Cream) method for maximizing moisture in my hair (though I change the order to Cream , Liquid, Oil ). Given this, I’d prefer not to use this alone, but I think this would be a great candidate for my “cream” product.
The Marc Anthony Curl Defining Lotion has a lemon scent. There’s something cute about a yellow product in yellow packaging that smells like lemons, but while not unpleasant, it’s not my scent of choice for my hair. Given this, I consider it a plus that the smell does not linger on me.
This leave in is sold in a tube with a flip cap. I’m a fan because it will allow me to use as much of the product as I can. A small issue is that the product is a bit runny, and it’s a little tricky to control how much comes out.
Ease of Finding (10/10)
I found the Marc Anthony Strictly Curls Curl Defining Lotion at Shopper’s Drug Mart, Walmart (in store and online), Amazon, and Well.ca I’m glad it shouldn’t be hard to find if I need to buy a new one.
My budget was around $10 Canadian. I picked this up for $7.99 on sale at Shopper’s Drug Mart, regular price is $9.99. As far as hair products in Canada go, I’d say this is pretty affordable.
Overall, I recommend the Marc Anthony Strictly Curls Curl Defining Lotion. The pros far outweigh the cons in my opinion and I’d happily get it again.
*This is not a sponsored post & the product was purchased out of pocket.
Have you tried this? What do you think? Do you have any hair care recommendations?